Saturday

2.80

Will we ever know
Will we wake up that morning and feel it in our steps
Or when we walk outside to get the morning paper-will we stop
For no apparent reason
And notice something that was there all along
Because when that day comes, I want to know
And maybe I'm being silly, but when you think about it -why wouldn't you?
I would want to make that last hug long and thoughtful
And look deep into their eyes
Call from work and leave a message
Because I know it's what I would want
And even though I couldn't stop it
I'm sorry you erased his voice from the answering machine
I'm sorry the last thing you'll remember him saying was "Don't wait for me"
I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye
But most of all I'm sorry you feel nothing
Because the hardest thing is I bet you wish he knew
So he could have felt it in every step he took and stopped outside and noticed the thing that was there all along
Give his family a meaningful hug, look and embed their faces in his mind
But when it comes to that very last second eveyone knows
Because he stopped where there was no red sign
But there was
A sign only he could see
Telling him he had reached an end
And he drove on because he knew he couldn't do a thing about it
Life is written..

No comments: